Dental Crowns Near Me, Lincoln NE
Dental crowns, also referred to as tooth caps, are placed on a damaged tooth to strengthen its structure, restore its normal size, shape, and function, and/or improve its appearance. A crown fully encases the visible portion of your tooth above the gum line, such that it becomes the new outer surface of the tooth.
Common Applications of Dental Crowns
A dental crown is a permanent tooth repair option that can be used to restore different kinds of dental damage, including:
- Missing tooth – can be used to support bridgework or paired with a dental implant
- Large cavity that would otherwise require a large filling
- Weakened tooth due to excess wear or cracks – to support and protect the remaining structure
- Decayed tooth – can be used to strengthen a tooth restored with root canal therapy
- Poorly shaped or severely discolored tooth – to conceal the imperfection and improve your smile
If you’re planning on getting a dental crown, then you should try to learn as much as you can about this versatile treatment before scheduling your dental visit. Although your dental team can provide the information you need, educating yourself about the procedure will allow you to ask the right questions to ensure that the results you get are exactly what you wanted.
Here are a few things to keep in mind about dental crowns:
- Tooth-colored crowns will give you the most natural tooth appearance because they blend in with your natural teeth and make the repair unnoticeable, producing an even, white smile.
- You need at least two dental appointments because dental crowns are created in a lab, which takes time. On your first visit, the dentist will prepare the site, take digital impressions, and install a temporary crown. On your second visit, the permanent crown will be placed so it “caps” the entire damaged or decayed area of the tooth. This will make it look and function like your natural teeth.
To learn more about dental crowns and whether they’re right for your case, please schedule your visit.